THEME ©


Raffaele Stern, Braccio Nuovo (Museo Chiaramonti), 1822
Under repair in april 2013 and with the artworks exhibited

The “Braccio Nuovo”, inside the Chiaramonti Museum, was built in 1822 as an extension of the Vatican Museums, under the papacy of Pio VII. The museum was strongly promoted by Antonio Canova, to house the artworks stolen from Rome during the Napoleonic Wars, that the sculptor himself managed to claim back (only partially) from France during the council of Vienna (1814-1815).